Saturday, September 10, 2016

The Ultimate Shopping

S
Sept 10, 2016


Shopping...the ultimate. Shopping in a city of 7 million in a third world country is like no other!  Typically, this is one of the many tasks that occurs the day after arrival, as we collect supplies for the trips and projects.  Yes.. plumbing and hardware parts, fabric, drip lines, cups, Jerry cans, medicines and equipment, books, clothes, backpacks, school supplies... to name just a few. Some of the team members absolutely love this and some would rather not tackle it. It is quite the wild ride adventure! Now, I am not a "shopper" at home by any stretch of the imagination!  Those who know me well can attest to this! They can also attest to the fact that I hate crowds, scream when I have to drive in a big city (esp when I end up going down the wrong side of the road!). But this....this is fun! There is a rhythm and flow...A beat and a pulse to the atmosphere that is both exhilarating and freeing.  And I love to walk it and shop it. So as the hum of the cars kind of moan and screech in the background, with horns honking and people weaving and pushing by in and out, this way and that way,,,,voices and soft laughter of the women...I tune into a tap...tap..taptaptaotap tap. Then a Kching Ching Ching....boom boom bboom, tap, Ching boom and the beat is on.... rhythm of movement thru dusty sweaty hot electrifying air. And I see my place, Denis tells me no it is not it. And I say, yes it is it. This is the one, where the colors come alive to sounds and the smells and the movement - my fabric place, same lady, same face, same beautiful welcome smile as she gives me a wide open grin and says, "welcome back, mum...long time". And the layers of weight, multi tasks and sleepless nights start to peel away, one by one I feel the layers shed and a lightness enter...I am becoming alive again and getting in my groove. Music to my soul. Now to bargain and buy this beautiful fabric!  For the ladies to make purses on the family empowerment farm, which we sell at home and help them with start up income generation projects.  They are beautiful!  Let me know if you would like to buy any! Ranae has some craft markets coming up soon after I get back. -- Ranae Parker I know how much you love this part of a trip also...this one is for you...I hope you love the colors! And I found a gold mine in animal prints! Can't wait to drop them by the farm today!  
Thank you!!  Next adventure...road trip to Kitgum...yes, 12 hours north we go on a road like no other! I am in good hands!!

- Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment