Monday, September 19, 2016

Side by Side Community Farming

Day 6. Awere Village

Good morning team! How are we doing? It is time we had a little de briefing as these village visits can be quite emotional, especially the first time. It is a glimpse into humanity and usually people come away forever impacted and more aware, less frightened of the "other world", more compassionate and understanding. There is always the why's - why does it have to be this way? We are born this way and God had his ultimate plan. I go where he leads and have faith and trust in him. And that by loving thy neighbor as thyself, even if it is a half a world away, the love and energy that brings will make for a better way, a peaceful way. The training, projects and community development we brings make for a better way, a way forward out of poverty. The poverty that brings so much hate and violence. We can't control what people do to each other, what kind of mental illness abounds from a tormented soul but we can spread some hope faith and love in this world. And that is enough. We can't save them all, only God can.  I don't have all the answers for sure. But that is enough and gives me the courage to carry on, keep moving forward. So good job my faithful friends, thanks for your love and compassion, thanks for coming along!  I am grateful!  - We are now in Gulu. I stayed at Rosa Mystica Rest Home last night with my dear elderly sisters. One has broken both hips and is bedridden, in a lot of pain and with bed sores. Actually the skin is sticking to the sheets and peeling. Thankfully, I have some antibiotic ointment, saline, gloves, wipes, soap, hand sanitizer and will buy some bandages. She needs a pressure relief mattress and we have located a way to buy one in Kampala. It is expensive but they will always need it for any others who become bedridden at the end of life. They don't really do palliative care here with pain meds, hospice  etc like I would normally do at home in my job. This is where she wants to be rather than the hospital. She also has a bit of dementia, yet is happy to see me and wants to sit up when I come In. But oh - the pain.  Father Peter comes to pray with the sisters daily and he prays over her with all of them surrounding in love. They sing beautiful music. Later he and I have long discussion on how to help these sisters sustain themselves. My room here is much more soothing that the hotel, cooler and a breeze thru the window. Still stark and plain but suits me fine. It continues to pour glorious rain at night, somehow this rain unites me with all sorts of emotions, yet washes away the tears and the pain and the suffering. Sets hope for a new day...giving growth and nourishment for all sorts of living things that spring to life with the morning dawn. The sun is bright and beautiful....may it rise all around you, peace and joy and love surround you... 
- Okay, get ready we are headed to Awere Village and the Side by Side Community Group Farming project! This is another couple hour journey remote and actually goes past Kony's birthplace - the leader of the LRA.  It is raining again by the time we arrive. Many are gathered in the church to meet. 70 members are in the group and again, one by one, I meet their leaders. They have ledgers ready and want to show me what they have done. We have supported them with a borehole (water well repair) oxen for plowing and seeds so far. Oh and encouragement that we also are by their side. Each member pays 5000 Ug shillings ( less than $2) to be a part of the group. They have a bank account, a constitution and a CBO formed. They take immense pride in reciting every kilogram of crop yield, price sold, how many acres and then the total income. It is a delight! Through the cultivation of sim sim, soy bean, ground nuts and millet - in approx 4 acres of land total they have raised 2.8 million shillings nearly $1000 dollars! They have worked so hard and also tout unity as their driving force. They include holding up those that cannot fend for themselves well and supporting the "old ones, lazy ones, sick ones" to do something together to help. Bringing togetherness as a group. Unity. Peace among them. Music to my soul.  They have identified a leader who will represent them at our group meeting in Kampala as we form the framework for the CBO Community Foundation for Development. I can't forget, this plan that became outlined and evident as to why this solo journey took place at this time and these places.  We now have 5 partners gathered, 3 potential board members and more to go - for what I feel will show itself as a ground breaking meeting of the minds, further unity and support for each other as these projects grow and move forward - faces of progress in the developing world. Come along my friends... After viewing the well and cows and some of the nearby fields, I am drenched!  Feels good but I am tired and long to be tucked in under my mosquito net, snuggled at Rosa Mystica where I can rest a little before visiting the next exciting project tomorrow on Opit Farm. Come along ...carry me along.

No comments:

Post a Comment