Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Not exactly the Ritz

Alrighty "virtual team" I have realized I am a little remiss in letting you know where we are staying/sleeping on this trip! Haha!  I didn't mean to keep you out in the rain all night!  The Bomah Hotel is not exactly like the Ritz nor Motel 6 !  But it is really the only option I can handle as far as hotels or guesthouses go in Kitgum since some of my friends I stayed with before have now left. It is simple, as you can see, no pictures on the walls, yet often decorated by geckos or other little moving critters.  Mosquitoes are abundant at night, hence the mosquito net above the bed to prevent malaria. Sometimes I am so tired, I forget to take it down - therefore I better not forget my malaria prevention pill! Yes, you also need shots to come on this trip and lots of them! The bathroom is also simple and usually has water - yes, cold water ( I haven't had a hot shower since I have been here, but any water is a gift and a luxury!)  Undrinkable water. Don't even brush your teeth with this or you may go home with a few critters inhabiting your body.  Sometimes it drips so much you can't turn it off!  Still, it is nice and the people are nice. The lights usually work but not always so carry a flash light - power outages are often. In fact tonight is one of them!  Every year things seem to function a bit better. Amazingly they have internet in the lobby, which is why I am still able to post (but with the power outage this will now be delayed). This year I hit the jackpot and was given a room near the lobby and the wifi worked in my room! The food is good but be prepared to wait about 2 hours as I think they have to go slaughter  the chicken or pick the vegetables as you order!  It is not nearly as noisy as the town yet there are always sounds filtering in from everywhere (roosters crowing, people talking, music playing, doors banging, footsteps and more) ... as nothing is sealed, or tightly fitted....not doors, not windows, not walls. The nights are also hot hot hot! If lucky may get a fan, if not I just learn to enjoy stickiness!  Seriously, though, it has become an oasis and safe comfortable haven over the years and I am always grateful it is an option!  The simpleness suits me and the team
never complains. Never have I  become sick here, not once. And the price is right $18 dollars a night!  Life is good!  Still, I long for my hut on the farm - with no running water or electricity, dark dark starry nights, and voices of nature....soon. Come along ...there is work to do!  Oh, in case you haven't noticed the dress code for village outreaches is skirts or dresses below the knees, shirts and pants for the guys, no shorts. Flip flops a must! It is not that bad, really....and is cultural respect.

- Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment