Sunday, September 11, 2016

Rosa Mystica Grain Grinding


First stop and meeting with Mother Susanna! Check out that sign - H20 board!  My first amazing surprise, as I meet all of our partners. Yes,  it is coming to a reality, something is in motion and actually happening! The Rosa Mystica grain grinder income generation project - they have contributed the building on their own and the grinder H20 bought (over a year ago) will be functioning soon!  And we have another milk cow idea (don't shoot me).  For peops at home, thru connections of Dr Hinshaw, an OBGYN physican, we have become friends of these sisters (long amazing story). Dr Sr Vincentina who is now our medical director of Emmanuel clinic introduced me to these lovelies a few years back. I am partial to the elderly after taking care of my first "gramps" at the age of 23, who was my best friend. Then came the other grandparents and years of working as a PA in geriatric medicine and long term care. Joy, you would  love it here!  I stay at the Rosa Mystica Rest Home when I am in Gulu. They are the old old, some 80 to  90 to 100 years. The most amazing prayer warriors! Through the war, their stories of fighting off the rebels are enormous!  This is no ordinary rest home mind you.  They all still take care of themselves and each other. They work hard digging in the garden trying to grow food, shuck the grain and shells, and cooking the harvest. All to live. There are no nurses. No bed pans.  A few broken wheelchairs and walkers. Slowly shuffling and limping, hands crippled and worn. They struggle, yet they survive and long to live well, eat well in their resting years on earth. I brought them vegetable seeds the first time I visited and you would have thought it was sacks of gold! Since, they have given me a room and insist I stay with them!  Their eyes light up and faces crinkle and ease each time I arrive. It blesses me immensely to give back as I honor my grandparents. I always say this will also be my resting home when I am old old and ready to rest my life!  There is very little money for their upkeep  and of course no such thing as insurance Medicare or medicaid.  So, we have struggled to find some type of project to help them after the village farming project they tried to partner with failed.  Soon, may it grind grain, bear income....provide some comfort....some light in their life...peace on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment