Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Kicked Out of Xray - on my way to Kitgum!

Hi all,

We are doing just fine! The guys are working hard and have made a lot of progress and have some more they are working on!

I thought I'd relay a funny tale...

When we left the farm to head to Kalongo, I warned them it would be a long day...
and we would have to leave very early. Well as it is in Africa time..we were very late leaving. The cows would not load..and Brian was out helping Richard (which led to his tub being left behind!) . The guys were ready but then Richard wasn't ready...so on it went. Then the kids came with their uniforms on for school...so of course we had to take them to school in our bus with their new clothes and backpacks! They all wore their Jesus bracelelts and definitely stood out amongst the others in the smartest new clothes and shoes! Well this lead to even later. Finally we got on the road...
Good thing they brought their beef jerky and trail mix! We arrived Pajule and then on to Awal IDP camp where Nancy and Bosco family are from. I had promised them a visit every year with news of the kids when I started their adoption process a few years back..so in keeping with my word, it lead us a few hours off the beaten path the Kalongo. Suzan and I wanted to attempt a short cut. Richard and the guys, esp Richard thought we should go the road we know, which was another 3 hour journey around !
Bosco and Nancy's family were okay, but very remote. They are struggling with the drought affecting their ability to have enough food so were malnourished and some sickness. The plow was still there from last year and some seeds...this year we brought the 2 oxen and milk cow and calf, as an attempt toward their recovery process after the 20 year LRA war. Granpa Paustino is getting older and had some sickness. They need help with scholastic supplies, school uniforms for the children and healthcare. However, since last year's visit they had worked very hard to build the new huts on their land. They are definitely trying. We brought them vegetable seeds and will implement a small drip irrigation kit for their garden. Also some clothes.
They welcomed prayer and worship and the faith by hearing bible tape. They are so remote the visits are always very very short as the day turns into evening in a very long journey. We finally arrived Kalonog at night, very dusty and tired.

This did not stop anyone from getting up early in the morning and ready to get started. After a hospital tour, we went to the Xray dept where all of the boxes, supplies and xray equipment was off-loaded. I and Susan proceeded to look through all of the boxes and sort and send to the various areas for collection and accounting.
Meanwhile, on our tour we came accross the ultrasound ...Jeff quickly unwrapped the plastic and said "Where are the transducers and probes..?" Oh Dear..since I don;t know what they looked like, I feared we left them behind. This is the case after unpacking... (Guess that means another trip! Ha). They guys quickly got to work with plan B, wiring the processor and also adapting the room for xray. Good thing Russ is here for the saftey checks...ha ha. They decided to look at the ceiling to see if something could be bolted. As I watched Don climb this wooden/shaky ladder I reminded him the ladder was probably built for Ugandans which are half our size! He said, "Are you calling me fat?" I said, no ..it's just that they are built for efficiency..you know lean and strong and light weight...all the better to run from the lions...get it?!
Then Jeff decided to climb the ladder into the attic...and I said, "Watch out for the critters!". Don got his hairs on his neck standing up..guess he doesn't like critters. By that time Sr. Vincentina was having a fit at the ladder provided and ordered the Ugandans to get the metal one. Jeff continued to climb..as we yelled ..wathc out for the broked rung! Once up in the attic...I kept calling out...watch out for th ceiling...as plaster kind of flaked a little down. From below, I commented..well lets hope he doesn't step wrong and go through...don't want to do orthopedic surgery here! He relayed later...it was all the wires everywhere and where I was putting my hands..! All went well. Later, as they were mounting a piece of wood onto the ceiling, I again put my two cents worth..."Did you have it treated for termits?" At this point..Don, say..it will take 2 decades for termites to eat through this wood (it was mahogaony!) and then he ordered..."OUT". All of you...then added..Nadine it is not just you..but we need only 3 guys so we can get this done.

So, I was kicked out!! No more commentary from me...all who know me will laugh and laugh. Later Don apologized thought he hurt my feelings and I laughed...all who know me will understand as it is usually me who has to take the deep breaths when someone is driving me nuts!

So, I respectfully have stayed away and off to other work. Yesterday we went back to Wipolo and they are doing wonderful..and got Baby Rose tested (she has sickle cell). More later on this as it was a wonderful day.

So, now 3 of us are off to Kitgum to see the orphanages H20 supports in medical care. Brian is going with us..as he was there in 2006. So the electronics, xray guys are left in Kalongo for peace and quiet as they work..with Russ praying to God..for safety!

We will be back in Kalongo tomorrow. Thanks for the prayers..!

Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment