Friday, May 9, 2014

Uganda Mission 2014 - Trip Number Twelve - Home away from Home

April 23, 2014 – Departure to Uganda
Home away from Home

Dear all,

Even though I am going over solo from Hope 2 One Life, and packed four tubs (instead of 22 and a full team as in the past), the process of getting ready is still overwhelming! One would think the airport situation in Billings would go without a glitch after 10 years and 12 trips but that was not the case once again. The airline agent even though she was great last trip gave me a problem about the extra tub and it flustered me quite a bit. I am allowed three tubs for medallion status and I pay for one extra, she tried to insist I pay for two and I madly tried to find the rules...wouldn't ya know it I usually carry them with me but assumed a smooth sail...so didn't have them. As Dan was lookiing for internet access, the AIDSpirit team showed up and she flippantly said I will just waive the one. They all had 3 tubs each on Tom's medallion status and one extra and she didn't give them a bit of hassle. Oh....just that little bit of stress after very little sleep for days prior to the trip, coupled with many extra hours of work prior to save up to pay the bills while I am gone is enough for me to ask..."Oh God...why.. why is it rarely easy....why do I put myself through this?"

That is when I always remind myself....I am simply following my life's calling and serving God's work... doing what i can to help just one small miniscule fraction of orphans and widows, impoverished families and children in a suffering world. I remember the angels that guard me front and back through the years and all the prayers that carry me through as I am simply the messenger. Thus, as soon as I get on the plane and sigh a huge relief, I settle in to the peace and calm of the 34 hour travel in great anticipation of the journey to come....muster up every bit of perseverance and energy and place my sights forward on the work to be done and hope to be restored. On faith alone, leaving Kenny and my american world behind as I head for my beloved Uganda...home away from home.....

I am grateful to all of you for the prayers that will carry me and the many who have made this trip possible! St. Vincent Healthcare Foundation for providing my travel grant for the plane ticket. Without their help, I would have to work 4 jobs instead of three to pay for the time I am missing work. I am grateful for the ST V WIC staff, providers and managers for keeping their promise of allowing me to travel for this work to Uganda twice a year even though it leaves gaps in the schedule. I am grateful for the H20 Board of directors in their great assistance with many things while I am gone and in providing the guidance and help while I am over in Uganda, especially as I tackle some difficult issues by myself. I am grateful to Ranae so much for helping me pack, if not for Ranae I would have been in panic mode daily. I am grateful to Dan for saving the day once again and getting me to the airport and through the check in process. I am grateful to the AIDSpirit team, Tom and Jean Jacques, Jeans sister Gretchen and Angie Osborne (famously known of the wife of Tom Osborne in Uganda, our water expert!) as we travel together and partner in some of the work. They will be in Kayunga for approx 11 days and on then visit the farm for 3 days before flying out May 6. I will be on my own and living as a Ugandan for 3 weeks following for a total of 5 weeks which likely will be packed with many many adventures and amazing counters. With grace and ease...I pray I will move through every challenge with grace and ease.

Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment