Sunday, October 15, 2017

Day 1 - With Maggie eyes wide open - Full of Hope

Hello friends and family! Olyotia!! Maggie and I are checking in from Uganda! We arrived Entebbe with the smoothest travel ever, all 7 tubs made it without a hitch. Stayed at are usual Lake Victoria View guesthouse the first night. Maggie awoke to multitudes of new sounds (birds chirping galore) and smells (flowers blooming, lake air etc). Her first emmersion into the culture entailed many wild rides getting to and around the city of Kampala. She was thrown into a preempt of all of our projects while listening and witnessing a 4 hour Community Foundation for Development board meeting where we discussed all of our projects, esp those facing some challenges, hashed out another MOU and starting planning a grant. She has been a breath of fresh air! So full of bouncy energy, positive light, passion, compassion, yet loads of common sense, life smart beyond her years - and yes loses an item nearly every day finding it again easily. A girl after my own heart. She has been already an amazing help as we shop for fabrics and make village health worker kits. Giving me such strength and energy too! Witnessing Maggie's first experience through her eyes is pure delight and joy!  Here are some excerpts from my view!  Meet amazing 24 year old Maggie, daughter of my old college friend Colleen Studer:
While watching this energizer bunny in the van we are travelling in, Maggie is bouncing off the seats as she exclaims " Ohh look at that!! A cow in the middle of the road. Oh my god. There are 12 bikes coming right at us. This is crazy!  Oh oh oh a baby goat, I love goats. I just want to scratch that dogs back but I know I can't cause you told me I can't it is dangerous. (Yes they are wild strays without rabies vaccines) . Oh look at that - 1,2,3,4 mattresses on the motorcycle. Unbelievable (Denis remarks that is only half of what it can carry). Ahh....cute look at her....These people are beautiful!  Nadine you are right,  look at that cow tied to its tree on a postage stamp of grass - he is not even moving. Geez,
What is that?  an ant hill? Massive ant hill! (Termite mounds). This is the biggest avocado I have ever seen.  I have never had pineapple this good. Wow look at that!! What are they planting? What is this? Are they Schools? What are these buildings? This is so great. Thank you so much for taking me on this trip. It is just the first day and I am so happy. I feel this is giving me purpose.  Ahhhh, so sorry I didn't mean to scream, my bad. It was just such a shock. Yeah, yeah, yeah I get it that makes sense. I just want to play with all these children!   Oh my God, the baboon jumped on the hood of the car! I am speechless!  Look at the baby baboon! He looks scary!  That River is wild!"  With tears in her eyes many times in just two days, overwhelmed with gratitude, Maggie gives, Maggie serves, Maggie loves thy neighbor as thyself.  Music to my soul!  I am truly truly blessed to have this human sponge, full of life, by my side!! Thank you wonderful Maggie!! . - Off to Awere village today to view a potential well site and their farming progress. And to the Opit Farm to see the goat project. Stay tuned all....Come along...
- with Margaret Prindle

Nadine Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment