Sunday, May 11, 2014

Contrasts and Culture, First day on the Farm

First day on the Farm

The contrast between Southern Uganda and the cities and towns surrounding Kampala, Jinja and Entebbe to mid Uganda going north is sharp. The bustling cities with lots of noise, cars and motorcycles (boda bodas) weaving in a out everywhere, horns blaring, people moving, business in small shacks everywhere, sometimes using every inch of the land, including street children selling and begging as people are stuck in jams gives a person a feeling of constant activity. In the evening as it gets dark, and I mean dark!, the towns become alive with activity, everyone on the side of the road cooking, walking, visiting and selling. This is their social time as it cools down and the traffic jams go well into the evening. It is not uncommon to get stuck in a two to four hour traffic jam in the stiffling heat! Air conditioning...think again! Music is everywhere also, loud and louder to the point you cannot think at times. Imagine all of this going on while trying to drive through mud and rain and potholes, dodging people, goats, chickens, cows teathered to trees and yes lots of bicycles, boda boda's and other vehicles. The smells are alive and not always good as the sewer is a simple ditch flowing with debris separating the red dirt road with the shacks of shops. Jinja town has sidewalks in some places and is quite nice and touristy, yet comes alive at night similarly. There is an abundance of houses with tin roofs and bathrooms, and showers indicating more prosperous living and income generation ability for the local people as well. The missionary community in Jinja has become quite large and their is a lot of white faces around everywhere you go. For Beth, married to Kenny's brother John, this has been quite comforting. I relish in visiting them for a normal toilet, shower and bed after being up north a while and it is so nice to have "family" to stay with intermittently and bounce ideas off! Their son, Kiah, loves visitors too and loves to play games with "Auntie Nadine". I see them more in Uganda than I ever did in America!

My jet lag haze and brain fog has lifted and I relish in driving north out of Kampala and away from the traffic on the new good road with only a few stops for road construction! People are still walking and animals still on the side of the road but it thins out considerably, the air becomes fresh even with the oppessive heat, the green farm land abundant. Ah..beautiful wide open spaces! The houses become less and turn into more thatched huts as subsistence farming becomes evident. Still there are intermittent towns that look to be prospering more and more each time I come. One thing that does not change are the bugs...bugs and more bugs this time of year...my skin is a constant itch!! Our turn off is about 4 and a half hours north off the main road from Kikumba sub county of Kiryandongo district, and 13 km to Rakayata village and the Family Empowerment Uganda – Cannan farm, our partner and home away from home.

Terence, our new accountant and clinic administrator is with me and has already proved so valuable. Richard, as well. We have had a lot to talk about and are excited to start the work and see how the clinic is doing, especially. For this is the main reason I came back so soon and for so long. I think the american medical system is challenging, wait until you hear about the Ugandan medical system! I am thankful for good trusted ugandan friends I can call on to help. The learning curve is huge as I will soon find out.

I feel at home here....no matter how much struggle it is to get to Uganda and organize the work and projects and leave my job, Kenny and America behind....there is so much joy in returning to my home away from home. No matter how hard it seems in this extreme contrast of cultures, even the hardest day does not seem as hard as in america or maybe I am just more and peace and happier volunteering, serving and leading a simple existence by faith alone, rather than by my own direction in the US. Whatever it may be, I am grateful...thank you all for the support and prayers, I would not be able to take these journey's without each and every one of you.

I am excited to wake up tomorrow to the birds singing, roosters crowing and all kinds of farm smells! Stay tuned as the real work for me is about to begin. In a few days AIDSpirit team will also join the farm.

Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment