Saturday, May 10, 2014

Best Laid Plans


Best Laid Plans

May, 1 2014

After much preparation I was ready and eager to leave Kayunga and head up to the farm, finally! The initial shopping in Kampala and meetings were completed. I now had to pick up the orders from Joint Medical Stores, Nice House of Plastics, pick up Terence our new accountant and administrator for Emmanuel clinic, meet Richard, buy a few items for Rogers, a sewing machine and off we go. After much thought and a few negotiations with AIDSpirit it was determined best I use their bus for the trip as I had a lot of items to bring to the farm. Included with my 4 tubs were the printer and supplies for the clinic, books,  mosquito nets, medicines, water test kits, and 1000 cups for the school outreach and water cleanliness project we implemented a few years ago with bio sand water filters, hygiene, hand washing and sanitation. There was only 3 people and the driver going, however it was going to be a hassle for me to get a vehicle from Kayunga and then another one from Kampala. AIDSpirit would hire a van for them for the day. All was set and I was ready to go! We were a little late starting off as Charles had some things to finish up in Kayunga, eventually off we went. I heard from Richard an hour into the trip that he had arrived Kampala. We planned a meeting place and all was well. A few minutes later, I recieve another phone call and he tells me all is closed as it is a government holiday......labor day. Go figure. Joint medical stores and Nice house of plastics is closed. So now I have a bus enroute that is very expensive with little people and just my tubs printer and a few supplies. Now what to do. I could not see paying that large sum for fuel etc, so we juggled around and thought of a way to get all my tubs on public transportation which meant they would have to go on the roof. I talked with AIDSpirit and they graciously said they would bring my stuff up when they came in a few days...so I sent my stuff back on the bus with Charles to Kayunga and just kept my backpack and small suitcase. We then hired a small car to take the sewing machine to Grace and pick up Terence. Since this part of the trip was already costing over $100 I thought I should take the public bus so off we were headed to the bus park. Now Terence has a broken leg and is in a cast. I would also have to pay this driver. Out of the blue, I thought to ask him what it would take to drive us in this small car to the farm. He said he goes to Masindi every week to pick up people and would be glad to do it, has a car that makes the trip well and knows the road. I am so thankful for Ranae and her gift to me prior to leaving on the trip and remembered her telling me, if you get in a bind, don't struggle and take the public bus. Use this money. So, I did...and was so so thankful, I had that reserve. Now, I figured I would save it for later in the trip, not blow it all in one day early on...but it made it easier and i could make stops along he way to go to the toilet and buy fruits and vegetables, etc. We made it in record time, even before dark which was amazing. What is also amazing is that the Ugandans do not seem to have it on their radar when there is a public holiday!!! Lots of stores are open as in our country on holidays, but major businesses and the government are all closed similar to ours. I think as oblivious as I am to things at times, I would know it was a public holiday?!. So, the best laid plans....turned into..... when all else fails...go to plan B, C, D and all the way to Z if you have to!  And, I am digging deep within me for the grace and ease aspect of this day!  Thankfully, I only felt the panic and stress of the situation momentarily and moved on...to the bright side.  I am so looking forward to my first day on the farm!

Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment