Monday, January 28, 2013

"Close to the Edge" in Kalongo


The town of Kalango, Uganda, in which I am crosslegged on my foam mattress and working up with little effort a fish-like sheen of standing sweat, is found crouched behind a small granite mountian which looms perpetually overhead like some indifferent observer. The air is without the humidity of Entebbe, and the sun burns with little mercy. This morning, well before dawn, some of us rose to pit our quads and cardios against our stony rival. We shuffled to the bus, most of us denied the simple pleasure of a cup of coffee, and bounced the short distance to the trailhead. With water bottles in hand and headlamps at the ready, we bid our driver spur his diesel steed and we struck off eastward. After a spell of confusion over why the trail had ended so abruptly and, in fact, not at the summit of the dark peak, we backtracked to the main road and struck off further westward. On the correct trail at last, with the setting moon on our left and the first soft oranges and yellows of dawn to our right, the trail lost its pleasent incline and progressed steadily in steepness. I resolved to stay at the brisk pace of our leader, Olara Geoffery, who, as I have found of most native Ugandans, has me beat in both athleticism and fortitude if not length of stride. I was soon huffing and presumably puffing my way up the stout trail. After the first third of the hike the trail leveled out considerably, and I was subject to the beautiful landscape and foliage the rising sun slowly brought to light. On we walked. I, behind a few of our group and ahead of three, was left to my thoughts (none of them really very profound or exciting). We reached the top in good time and were greeted by rifle-toting guards who wanted to know if we had brought them ciggarettes. Sadly, we had not. They let us pass with little dissapointment. The view from the peak of the mountain (yes I'm purpously avoiding the name of it. I was told twice. Its something like Urunga, I think) was incredible! The local farmers had been burning slash which had saturated the morning air with thick, low hanging, white smoke. Now above the smoke, we were stricken with the happy illusion that we had climbed much higher than we had and were above the clouds. From the summit we could hear the music of the town: at least twenty stereos cranked to full volume around the streets, each playing different songs. My dad got nervous when my brother and I got close to the "edge" which from his point of view looked like a sheer drop to the foot of the mountian but was in reality only a slope of maybe 7 feet to another broad ledge. After drinking some much appreciated water and giving tender American thighs a few minutes' rest, we said goodbye to our armed friends and headed back for showers and some breakfast. Dr. Hinshaw told us the hike would be easy. Don't listen to a word he says.
 
By Canon Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment