Wednesday, February 10, 2010

All are God's Children

Feb 5th,


After walking away from the bus taking the guys to the farm, feeling sad…and then going back into Achumi market to find some fingernail clippers (so much dirt under the nails…and for some reason I couldn’t stand it any longer…this was my focus back to sanity..I needed to cut my fingernails!). Once that was accomplished, my nails cut and some water bought. I lifted my head up and said to Prichard and Jackson. ..”Let’s walk…I can’t bear to go back to the hotel and sit in that room again. Thankful Brian had given me some shillings and the church sent over some to cover the container, so I was back in business again…
So, we walked the streets of Kampala..and Prichard decided to take us to a corner I remembered before near the parliament when they play music and had wireless internet. We sat outside…as it grew dark, the city became alive! It seemed everyone was outside…cooking, talking, singing, selling their wares…etc. The various lights flickered among the darkness and sounds were everywhere. We also called Prichard’s girlfriend in America (I just found out about her! And since I am mom he wanted to introduce her..ha!) and also we called Kenny. I was so happy to hear from us and was fine, thankfully. As, I was looking around..I noticed two children on the corner…dancing…then darting away…then re-appearing behind a parked car…dancing some more…then gone. In the shadows I could see their clothes were tattered…their feet were bare and their arms and legs very thin. Yet, the joy of listening and dancing to the music brought them closer and visible in brief moments.
I turned my head to speak to Prichard and ask him about them…he said they were street children…I turned back and they were gone! Since we were ready to catch a special hire (taxi ) to the hotel…I said to Prichard, “I cannot leave until we find those children” We turned the corner and saw them by a restaurant picking up empty soda bottles from a crate….one by one tipping the bottles to their mouths and drinking the last drops of the soda left in the bottle. A guard was nearby and all seemed used to these children. As I approached them, they flinched and would have ran but I asked the guard to allow them to stay, I wanted to see them. They had beautiful smiles, through the dirty thin faces and rags they wore! They were living on the streets and sleeping in verandas when the city quieted at night and were scavenging for food scraps.
There was a chicken place….so I bought them each chicken and chips. They wanted a soda but I insisted on water; the cashier did not even charge for the water. She told me she would pack the food to go as they want to share with their friends who are also living on the streets.
She instructed them how to say thank you in English, the guard and all smiled and really thanked me. As I looked around I also realized, I was the only white person around and the only one I saw the whole evening… I guess I was in a part not frequented by tourists.
Everyone was so grateful and nice about helping the children. It was they who actually helped me…in the midst of the struggle earlier with container…all is put into perspective….as we are all one in the eye’s of God and all His children. These children were so beautiful to me….they vanished into the night as silently as they came and were no longer lurking in the shadows, however they will lurk in my mind and heart for a long time. The lesson of sharing with their friends even though they are so desparately without, inspired me and brought to mind the commandment of “loving thy neighbor as thyself”
I slept good last night and prepared for the long day of wait today as the clearing agent worked with the customs department all day! At 4:55 pm I received a call…their was another issue…imagine that! The issue was that of the shipper owned container (donated by Peirce and AIDSpirit and would be staying on the farm – a much needed water tight storage place on the farm!). So, then it became more money requested for the customs to “overlook” the tax that should be paid (supposedly). Prichard has a friend in the office and she did not think it the case…but the customs at the shipyard needed to let the container go out tomorrow and it could hold it up even more I was told. I was to meet the agent tomorrow morning and I vowed to be there right on time so as to get that container out finally! Later, I received a call from Sr. Vincentina of Kalongo Hospital who wondering when I was coming with the team and I told her the saga…she was so upset and kept saying..we have tax exemption..they should not be charging you at all! She immediately called someone she knows on the board of minister of finance…texted me his number and I was to call him in the morning to help out. As it turns out, I called him 3 times in the morning. We finally got the container moved to multilines and sorted for delivery and off it was on the road by 1 pm. I also took the backpacks and books (for Love Covers) and mattress (for John who has hydrocephalus) and off I went on the road to Masindi..spending my last shillings once again!! Multilines also gave me an invoice for a refund of $339 but as it was a Saturday there of course was no money available! Arrangements have been made to get it however. ..
The guys have called a few times and were preparing for love covers and the VBS. I heard the Lord provided more water through the sun and even lights through the sun! I’ll let them tell you about it all! I arrived the farm in record time ….to see them doing the love covers…playing the “shepard and the sheep” and big bad lion game. All 5 guys and all the kids! It was amazing. It was in time to explain how 13 year old Rachel from Billings started the book drive and the love the kids in Billings have for the kids in Uganda …half a world a way. Another expression of unity…of one in the world and with the world. Hallelujah!
Rachel’s story and strength and will to persevere with the book drive, even after a year….touched the Ugandan’s deeply. The Love packs were beautiful..the donations from many for the items in the packs...hygiene kits, school supplies and the cost of the shoes, mosquitoe nets, blankets, uniforms etc... including the colorful backpacks from Dave and Office Depot were a huge blessing. The ladies worked so hard making the uniforms on sewing machines that are the antique treddle machines…in solar cooker oven Heat! The kids received their first books ever…one by one. Thank you everyone at home for sharing the love! Wish you could have been here…and to see the guys teach the kids and play with the kids….beautiful…God is good and we are grateful! At that moment the hardship of the container has become a distant memory as the work we have come to do goes forward. You will hear from the guys soon, so I will save some stories for them..they are awesome!

Love, Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment