Sunday, October 15, 2017

Village Health Team training in Gulu

10/15/2017

So Sorry for the delay! Our sleep wake cycle has been a bit sporadic and It has been a busy time! We explored a new water project site and visited the Opit Farm. I have had some tough decisions to make with the board and CFD on one of our projects that I will share later. Meanwhile, 2 days of Village Health Team training were held in Gulu, in follow up of our January team trainings in January and Mariel Rieland and our partner org Community Foundation for Development in August. We did knowledge assessments and reviews and further teaching. The VHT's did skits depicting the importance of malaria prevention (which was hilarious and engaging and impactful!). We viewed there teaching and critiqued sole important points. and it It was fabulous, even for me who has done this for so many years. 5 northern uganda villages were represented in this training and those chosen by their villages
To represent them and share this knowledge is truly and honor. They are bright and interactive and engaged, soaking up any bit of Knowledge we could teach them. Here are some heartfelt perspectives from amazing Maggie Margaret Prindle who has dove right in and participated fully in everything and with everyone!!  "Yesterday morning we had our first VHT training. 10 boys and one girl took time out of their lives to travel here to Gulu to learn. In these remote villages, there's no doctors. There's no clinics. These young adults are volunteering to learn how to teach and treat simple things as well as recognize danger signs of major illnesses and aide their people to get to a clinic. They were all so engaged, asking intelligent questions, and already having loads of knowledge as well. And so entirely grateful!! They told us at the end of class their biggest challenges and greatest feats being a VHT. It seriously hurt my soul when they told us some people don't want to learn because some fellow villagers are jealous. Others  also think they are getting paid so expect some money for simply just listening. Where we are, all of the people around my age and older experienced one of the worst genocide and epidemics man has known. These humans i have met, have more heart and fire inside of them than most people I know, even though they have experienced hardship that is incomprehensible. Coming here and seeing the hope, the light, the heart and love persevere in these people is the most inspiring thing I have ever experienced. I can't begin to wrap my head around the timing. It's a funny feeling when you know that where you are is where you're supposed to be in that moment. These VHTs won't give up. They are going to work and work until they see change in their communities. They also explained to us the good they get from this experience. Some said they feel like role models to many. That they brought their community a little bit closer together and that force of love and unity is unreal. Especially since they are the cause of it. The one girl, Irene, even said that she was thankful that she got to connect and learn from me!! I feel the same way towards her. I am now so inspired. I am now so engaged. The Acholi people have a special spark to them and I am very thankful to be here. This red dirt is forever embedded in my skin, my heart, my mind, and my soul."


- thank you Maggie, from all my heart! You are an inspiration and bright angel of light energy and love to me and all you meet! We are truly blessed!  Come along as we see more of Maggie with the deaf children and village outreaches as we move on to Kitgum, Wipolo and Palabek!  - Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment