Saturday, February 5, 2011

Wipllo

When we arrived in Entebbe late on the 26th you could already hear and feel the energy of Uganda. There was no doubt we had just arrived in Africa w/ the warm air and the welcoming chants of the women dancing out side. The people here are so beautiful and full of life which has been very refreshing enviroment to be absorbed into. They are so positive and thankful for everything that they have and their families units seem so strong form an outside point of view. Which sadly in the US seems at times to be almost none existant. But, I have been working with a wide array of the public in an urban setting so maybe I have just seen too much at home lately. The most eye opening thing I noticed in Uganda is the lack of water. You see it on tv, hear it on news, see products in the US that donate money to the cause and hear of even celeberties promotion the cause. But, actually seeing how many people live in these villages with not only enough water for washing and cleaning but, nothing clean to drink in this heat amazes me that their population is as high as it is. The only thing I missed from home here in the first week was my shower but, now I miss my washing machine possibly more than I did for the 3 years I didn't have one at home in undergrad and I feel guilty for that knowing all thes millions of people have never seen one.

No comments:

Post a Comment